As you search for a home, your home, what matters most? Do you like a wide expanse or prefer less of an area to clean? Is your budget wide open or better suited to a condo or town home? Is the ability to control your decor options paramount on your “Home Needs” list?
Every real estate agent knows that location is a prime factor when purchasing a home. However, while location is generally a driving force in the purchase of your home purchase, other components come into play as you choose the perfect house. Some of those elements may even have you considering condo ownership over a traditional detached house when you buy your home.
Because of this, it’s helpful to recognize the challenges and rewards that owning a condo can bring.
Condo owners are unique in that they pay Homeowner Association (HOA) fees to share in the maintenance of the property at large. Reviewing this cost and the Homeowners Association bylaws prior to your home purchase is essential as you may find restrictions that are not in keeping with your lifestyle. If after review you feel that the rules are too confining for the condo you are considering, try a different complex as each set of bylaws is unique. If after reviewing several and finding all lacking, however, you may decide that condo life is not the best fit for you.
Before buying a condo as your home, it’s helpful to consider the following:
- Why are you buying a condo?
- Is it conveniently located?
- What extra amenities or savings might you receive due to your condo purchase?
- Are you a loud person? Neighbors may overhear as you will be in relatively close quarters.
- Are you someone who likes to act independently? If so, condo life and rules may be a bit stifling.
- Are you comfortable having someone other than you maintain your home’s exterior?
- When added into your home cost, are your HOA fees reasonable?
No matter whether your home purchase results in a detached home or a condo, asking yourself these questions before making your purchase can results in happier home owning. If you have questions about the type of home and location that is best for you, please give me a call so we can address your particular needs.